Penny B. Kassel, Esq. chairs FRB’s Elder Law Practice Group. Prior to joining FRB, she established and maintained her own law firm for over 30 years. Ms. Kassel comes to the legal profession with a unique background. With a Master’s Degree in Counseling and after working for a pharmaceutical company, Ms. Kassel spent many years handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases. For more than 35 years she has devoted the majority of her time to estate planning and administration and to elder law matters.
Ms. Kassel spends a good deal of time presenting seminars and discussion groups to attorneys and laypeople with regard to elder law matters and guardianships for elderly or infirmed/handicapped family members. She strongly believes that everyone, young and old alike, should have the information necessary to plan for their future, their children’s futures and even their parents’ futures. She expertly explains the benefits and drawbacks of having such documents as a Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney, Revocable or Irrevocable Trust, Health Care Proxy, Living Will and the importance of appropriate ownership of real property. She emphasizes the importance of protecting assets and ensuring that documents are drafted to reflect her clients’ wishes.
Ms. Kassel is a member of the Ethics Review Committee of South Nassau Communities Hospital. She served for many years as chair of the Legal Advisory Committee of the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation and is still active on that committee. She handles elder law matters for the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) and the Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) and is a frequent lecturer for medical facilities, bar associations, financial planners and community organizations. She is a member of the Board of Directors of her condominium. Ms. Kassel is a supporter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and has raised more than $30,000 for important research by completing century bike rides, the Long Island Half Marathon, and many triathlons, through her participation with Team in Training. Ms. Kassel has been an honoree of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation. She is a past director of the Nassau County Bar Association and former chair of its Elder Law Committee. Ms. Kassel was a member of the Board of Directors of Nursing Sisters Home Care and hosted the radio show, “Planning with Penny” on WLUX.
Ms. Kassel understands the sensitive nature of elder law matters and planning for the future. Her clients appreciate her gentle nature and her ability to explain the law, allowing them to make informed decisions.
- St. John’s University School of Law (Juris Doctor)
- State University of New York at Buffalo (M.Ed.)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.A.)
- University of Strasbourg, France
- State of New York
- Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Founder and member of Legal Advisory Panel to the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
- United Federation of Teachers
- Civil Service Employees Association
- Member of Ethic Committee of South Nassau Communities Hospital
- Member of Legal Advisory Panel to the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Chosen as one of the Top 100 Long Island Legal Eagles by Pulse Magazine 2011 and 2012
- Chosen as honoree by Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation and Multiple Sclerosis Society