Jim is a member of the Corporate and Securities Group. He has over 35 years of experience in corporate and government compliance, government contracts, trade regulation, and information technology. He has been in-house counsel for most of his career, including Northrop Grumman’s Data and Information Division, CA Technologies, where he served as Vice President, Senior Counsel, and Associate Chief Compliance Officer, and at Overseas Military Sales Group where he was General Counsel and Chief Compliance. Immediately prior to joining FRB, Jim was a partner at Silverman Acampora, where he led their Government Contracts and Compliance Group.
As counsel to several large government contractors, in various manufacturing and development industries, Jim’s experience has included creating export compliance protocols, and managing multimillion dollar bid and proposal processes from the initial steps of government requests for information through the entire proposal procedure to final contract negotiation and award. For example, Jim created, launched, and managed a worldwide export compliance protocol for a major software company with more than 1,000 products sold worldwide. Jim has also successfully negotiated with the Department of Defense to avoid the suspension of his client’s contracts as part of a larger government-wide settlement.
Jim has created Codes of Conduct and established compliance help lines for his clients. This includes review of all submissions, investigation of each incident, and reports to executive management and Board Audit Committees. He can develop customized government and corporate compliance programs as well as training courses for company personnel on key compliance issues. In addition, Jim has experience in dealing with issues related to privacy, especially the EU General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) as well as other government acquisition and trade rules and regulations.
A frequent lecturer on corporate and government compliance issues, Jim is an adjunct professor at the Maurice Deane School of Law where he teaches Corporate Compliance and Ethics and has served as a visiting professor at the Naval Postgraduate School, where he taught courses in Government Contracts. He is a member of the American, New York and Nassau County Bar Associations. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association Committee on Attorney Professionalism and the Nassau County Bar Association Ethics Committee.. Jim is a member the Catholic Lawyer’s Guild and a Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Jim is Vice President for North America and a United Nations Delegate of the World Jurist Association and a member of the Board of Directors of the World Law Foundation, as well as member of the Board of Directors of the Long Island Import Export Association.
- State of New York
- State of Connecticut
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, Juris Doctor
- Notes and Comments Editor – Hofstra Labor Law Journal
- Law Fellow
- President of Student Government Association
- Co-Chair of Student Admissions Committee
- Hofstra University, Bachelor of Arts in History
- Departmental Honors in History
- Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
- Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society
- Maurice Deane School of Law, Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York
- Adjunct Professor of Law – Developed and currently teaching Corporate Compliance and Ethics; Foundational Lawyering Skills Professor; Paralegal Program instructor
- Naval Postgraduate School, Monterrey, California
- Adjunct Professor of Government Contract Law to Naval Officers receiving their Masters Degrees
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Committee on Attorney Professionalism – Member
- Nassau County Bar Association, Ethics Committee – Member
- Renew Democracy Initiative – General Counsel
- World Jurist Association – Treasurer, Vice President for North America and United Nations Delegate
- World Law Foundation – Member of the Board of Trustees
- Long Island Import Export Association – Member Board of Directors
- Now What Did Facebook Do to the Internet? The Invalidation of the US-EU Safe Harbor Agreement, European Law Reporter, Spring 2016.